Five Stones Philosophy: Optimal Health
The Five Stones Healing Arts and Wellness Center, the programs produced by our Five Stones Institute and the clinical care provided by our Integrative Functional Medicine Center are all organized around the underlying philosophy that optimal health is achieved by being in balance: in body, mind and spirit.
This state of balance can best be attained by working with our trained physicians and practitioners to incorporate for each client understanding of and engagement with the lifestyles that comprise our Five Stones of wellness:
Each Stone is a critical component in the equation that determines each of our client’s best health. Addressing all together and establishing balance within and between them creates the foundation for optimal health and wellness. The Five Stones process emphasizes reclaiming and maintaining balance among the qualities expressed by each Stone, which helps individuals achieve true balance of body, mind and spirit.
We offer a wide variety of programs, classes and services to help people find and maintain balance in their lives. Our Integrative Functional Medicine Center offers diagnosis and treatment based equally on restoring and maintaining the balance that brings with it good health.
Whole foods are the basis of good health. The foods we choose and how we consume them form our most intimate connection with the world around us: as food from the earth changes to the nutrients that power our bodies. Food choices can support or create challenges for good health. Through both our medical practice and nonprofit educational programs, the Five Stones Center can work with you on:
- How to source, shop for and choose healthful whole foods
- Foundational cooking skills to prepare simple, flavorful and healthful meals
- The importance of attention and mindfulness in health and eating
- Your personal path to make room for healthy cooking and eating in your life
For optimal health, we must be adaptable to life circumstances and respectful of how our bodies change through time. What works at one stage in our lives may not work in later years. Finding balance and joy in your daily choices for exercise is key to maintaining a strong and supple body. Our programs balance strength with flexibility. Through both our medical practice and nonprofit educational programs, the Five Stones Center can help you learn to:
- Move and strengthen your body without strain or injury.
- Define a personal routine that you enjoy and will want to maintain.
- Set thoughtful goals based on increased awareness and respect for your body.
- Find partnership and a productive balance between pushing and allowing, movement and stillness.
The center Stone and heart of all Five Stones wellness and clinical programs is an integrative medicine approach that focuses not only on treatment of acute symptoms, but just as importantly on understanding the root causes of ailments and chronic ill health. We guide patients in balancing all areas of wellness, and this plays a strong role in preventive practices and self-care. Through our services you can:
- Address acute and chronic conditions using the principles of functional medicine, which address the root causes of illness and re-establish balance that restores good health.
- Expand self-care choices and modalities of healing that are selected based on your personal needs.
- Engage in personalized health programming and educational opportunities to prevent future problems and/or manage chronic conditions.
Mindful Stress Management
Stress is a natural part of life, and can be productive or destructive. The key to balanced health lies in managing your stress mindfully. By looking more closely at your sources of and responses to stress, you can make use of the lessons that may lie within it. Our programs and services help you:
- Define and understand ways to address your personal stress-management needs.
- Develop a set of personal tools such as breath work, meditation and relaxation to support calm and balanced responses to stressors.
- Benefit from modalities that support your mindfulness and relaxation, such as: massage, reiki, bodywork, hypnosis, and others.
Through interconnected living, we find ways to serve something larger than ourselves. Together we grow, heal and create more powerfully than any of us can do on our own. Five Stones’ programs and services help you:
- Recognize personal needs for deeper connection with yourself, family, friends, community and the world as a whole.
- Understand the ways in which interconnected living supports your overall health goals.
- Understand and reinforce your personal connection to something larger than yourself.